Contact us


Our details:

Ph:(+353) 045 431904
Fx:(+353) 045 433448

Opening hours:

Mon-Fri: 9am - 6pm
(Closed for lunch 1-2pm)
Sat: 9am - 6pm
(Open during lunch)

Closed Sundays

Visit or write to us:

Units 8/12
Ballymany Shopping Centre,
Co. Kildare,

We've got ample free parking

Your paint questions answered ...

Q. How do I figure out how much paint I need?

A. Average bedroom(approx 12'x12') requires 2.5Lt. per coat.

Q. Is there a right order to painting a room?
A. Generally when painting a room it is advisable to start at the top of the room and work down. The following is a typical sequence:

1. Ceiling – Apply two full coats of Vinyl Matt.
2. Walls – Apply two full coats of your chosen vinyl matt or silk, working away from natural light.
3. Doors & skirting boards – Start with the windows to give them a full day to dry before closing them in the evening. Next paint the door & doorframe followed by the skirting.

Q. How do I paint new plaster?

A. New plaster should be sealed first when the plaster is completely dry. A plaster Skim will take approx. 2 - 3 weeks to dry, whereas a full plaster will take around 6 months to dry.

Q. Which brushes do I use for which job?

When selecting a brush it is important to consider the following areas: type of bristle; the job & coating to be applied.

There are 2 types of bristle: synthetic and natural.

Synthetic bristles are very hard wearing, lasting up to 5 times as long as natural bristle brushes. As synthetic bristles do not absorb large amounts of water and swell up they do not cause tramlines to appear in the paint. Their structure produces a fine finish on all water-based paints.

Natural bristle has a structure that allows it to take and hold paint within the brush. In addition, the split ends of bristle brushes help to produce a fine finish with traditional solvent paints. However, they do not perform well with water-based paints like Vinyl Matt or Satinwood.

Brushes come in many sizes. As a rule of thumb, the larger the area you are painting, the larger the brush that you should use. For walls a 2" or 3" brush is required for cutting in, whilst a 1" or 2" brush will give you more flexibility when painting doors, skirting boards & architraves.

Q. What type of roller do I use?
A. Rollers are ideal for painting large areas, particularly ceilings. They are quick and easy to use. There are several types of roller to suit different paint jobs: foam, mohair or sheepskin, available in short, medium and long-pile. Your choice of roller really depends upon the sort of paint you are using. A short-pile mohair roller is suitable for applying vinyl silk. A medium-pile sheepskin roller is ideal for applying vinyl matt. Foam rollers are not recommended for normal vinyl matt paints as their spongy texture creates air bubbles in the paint film, which can then burst, leaving a crated, orange peel effect.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player